Weird Gadgets like “Ufo Detector”, “Giant Swiss Army Knife” and most popular comments and reviews that made those gadgets so popular on the online internet retailers.
1. UFO Detector
The “UFO-02 Detector, magnetometer interfaced with micro controller for detecting magnetic anomalies” is apparently ideal for alerting its owners to the electromagnetic disturbances which have been reported to accompany UFO sightings.
If any alien encounter happens in the future the simultaneous LED flashing and beeps from this device will hopefully alert buyers, but most reviewers on Amazon appear to be taking the claims with a large, sarcastic, pinch of salt.
Sadly, there also doesn’t seem to any warranty for those customers who are kidnapped by little green men, despite purchasing this feature rich gadget.
Theres is another model for sale as well, the UF0-01, although it’s unclear what advantages the UFO-02 model offers over the UFO-01, except that the LEDs are red rather than blue…
Some of the funnier comments from the Amazon reviews included :
- “The inventor of this detector has taken some LEDs and various cheap components and finally arranged them in the perfect way to stop this unceasing alien menace. “
- ”…the only time it has ever sounded the alarm is when it heard Michele Bachmann speak on television.”
- ”…much more accurate than the voices in my head.”
2. The Giant Swiss Army Knife
A Swiss Army knife is a classic old school multi-functional pen knife that’s meant to be small and handy for lots of situations.
The Wenger 16999 Giant Swiss Army Knife takes the multi-functional idea to its logical conclusion and comes with 87 implements and, usually, a four figure list price. Its more of a backpack knife than a pocket knife, especially as it weighs over 7 pounds.
The over the top number of blades and devices included in this gadget mean the manufacturers themselves probably designed it mostly as part of a publicity stunt.
Many of the comments from the Amazon reviews are about how, even with its 87 implements, its still missing some functionality.
- “I almost gave it 5 stars. However, we are a family of 5, and the knife has only 4 cup holders.”
- “My only disappointment is that it doesn’t have a golf club. Some day I might want to learn to play golf.”
- “I was very disappointed. The wifi supports only 802.11b.”